BLOG (March 2006 - March 2009)

THIS BLOG IS NO MORE. AT LEAST HERE...IT HAS MOVED TO ITS SMARTER COUSIN WORDPRESS: http://tristanlouthrobins.wordpress.com/

August 12, 2008

Tape Abuse



A sequel of sorts to the post a month ago when I took cruel hand, knife and pliers to a vinyl record of Beethoven. The results were awful, but I have a little more hope for a blank cassette tape I've had sitting in the backyard since Saturday morning.



I've decided to bring it in from the cold wintery climate this evening, give it a cup of tea and have a listen to it on the old Tascam 424.

I've always liked the way that tape breaks down. The way that the sound quality dimishishes compared to vinyl is a lot more subtle and homogenous because its breakdown affects the overall picture (i.e a frequency band) rather than the infrequent clicks and pops that marr a well-loved (or well-hated) slab of vinyl.

No comments:

intrepid visitors since 25/1/08