BLOG (March 2006 - March 2009)

THIS BLOG IS NO MORE. AT LEAST HERE...IT HAS MOVED TO ITS SMARTER COUSIN WORDPRESS: http://tristanlouthrobins.wordpress.com/

November 30, 2007

Laurie Anderson's Big Science in the city




Recently I discovered Laurie Anderson's album Big Science. Released in 1982, it sounds ahead of its time and original in terms of production and realisation, and its (unsettling) themes of technology, cities, social alienation and burning airlines seem all too familiar in 2007. What has really struck me about this work is the effect it has had on me when listen to it on my iPod as I walk through the city. Songs like "From The Air", "Walking And Falling" and "Born, Never Asked" evoke this strange potency as the tracks - with their off-kilter pulses and etheral undertones - rub against the extraneous noise of the city. It's a strange albeit comforting experience, I suggest you try it sometime.

It's also worth the price of purchase alone for "O Superman", but you probably didn't need me to tell you that.

You can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Science_(album)

No comments:

intrepid visitors since 25/1/08